Watch this space for comprehensive and updated bibliographies of Mormon studies work by region and topic, with historiographical introductions.
Bibliographies by region:
- Aikau, Hokulani K. A Chosen People, A Promised Land: Mormonism and Race in Hawai’i. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 2012.
- Allen, Julie K. Danish but Not Lutheran: The Impact of Mormonism on Danish Cultural Identity 1850-1920 (Salt Lake City: University of Utah Press, forthcoming May 15, 2017).
- Barber, Ian G. “Between Biculturalism and Assimilation: The Changing Place of Maori Culture in the Twentieth-Century New Zealand Mormon Church,” New Zealand Journal of History 29 (1995): 142-169.
- Basquiat, Jennifer Huss. “Embodied Mormonism: Performance, Vodou and the LDS Faith in Haiti,” Dialogue: A Journal of Mormon Thought 37, 4 (1984): 1-34.
- Bowman, Matthew, and Kate Holbrook, eds. Women and Mormonism: Historical and Contemporary Perspectives. Salt Lake City: University of Utah Press, 2016 [includes some international/cross-cultural chapters]
- Brooks, Joanna, and Gina Colvin, eds., Approaching a Postcolonial Mormonism (Salt Lake City: University of Utah Press, forthcoming 2017).
- Chen, Chiung Hwang. “In Taiwan But Not of Taiwan: Challenges of the LDS Church in the Wake of the Indigenous Movement,” Dialogue: A Journal of Mormon Thought 41, 2 (2008): 3-31.
- Colvin, Gina and Max Perry Mueller, eds. Special issue on Race and Mormonism. Journal of Mormon History 41, 3 (2015).
- Decoo, Wilfried. “In Search of Mormon Identity: Mormon Culture, Gospel Culture, and an American Worldwide Church,” International Journal of Mormon Studies 6 (2013): 1-53.
- Gooren, Henri. “Latter-day Saints under Siege: The Unique Experience of Nicaraguan Mormons,” Dialogue: A Journal of Mormon Thought 40, 3 (2007): 134-
- Grover, Mark L. “The Maturing of the Oak: The Dynamics of LDS Growth in Latin America,” Dialogue: A Journal of Mormon Thought 38, 2 (2005): 79-104.
- Inouye, Melissa Wei-Tsing. “The Oak and the Banyan: the ‘Glocalization’ of Mormon Studies,” Mormon Studies Review 1 (2014): 70-79.
- Jenkins, Philip. “Letting Go: Understanding Mormon Growth in Africa,” Journal of Mormon History 35, 2 (2009): 1-26.
- Joseph, Robert. “Intercultural Exchange, Matakite Māori and the Mormon Church,” Hugh Morrison, Lachy Paterson, Brett Knowles, and Murray Rae, eds., Mana Māori and Christianity. Wellington, New Zealand: Huia Publishers, 2012.
- Knowlton, David Clark. “Hands Raised Up: Power and Context in Bolivian Mormonism,” Dialogue: A Journal of Mormon Thought 40, 4 (2007): 47-71.
- Martinich, Matthew, and David G. Stewart, Jr., Reaching the Nations: International LDS Church Growth Almanac, 2014 Edition (Henderson, NV: Cumorah Foundation, 2013).
- Mason, Patrick, ed. 2016. Directions for Mormon Studies in the Twenty-First Century. Salt Lake City: University of Utah Press. Chapters 3 (Shinji Takagi), 4 (Walter van Beek), and 5 (Wilfried Decoo).
- Murphy, Thomas W. “Guatemalan Hot/Cold Medicine and Mormon Words of Wisdom: Intercultural Negotiation of Meaning,” Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion 36, 2 (1997): 297-308.
- Newton, Marjorie. Mormon and Maori. Salt Lake City: Greg Kofford Books, 2014.
- Östman, Kim. “The Scholarly Study of Mormonism in Finland: An Overview of Literature, Research Ideas, and Sources,” Dialogue: A Journal of Mormon Thought 41, 2: 32-56. http://www.kimostman.fi/pubs/KimOstman_Dialogue_v41_no2.pdf
- Phillips, Rick. “Rethinking the International Expansion of Mormonism,” Nova Religio 10, 1 (2006): 52-68.
- Plüss, Caroline. “Chinese Participation in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormons) in Hong Kong,” in Journal of Contemporary Religion 14, 1 (1999): 63-76.
- Stevenson, Russell. 2014. For the Cause of Righteousness: A Global History of Blacks and Mormonism, 1830-2013. Salt Lake City: Greg Kofford Books.
- Stark, Rodney. “The Rise of a New World Faith,” in Review of Religious Research 26, 1 (1984): 18-27.
- Takagi, Shinji. 2016. The Trek East: Mormonism Meets Japan, 1901-1968. Salt Lake City: Greg Kofford Books.
- Toronto, James A., Eric R. Dursteler, Michael W. Homer. Mormons in the Piazza: History of the Latter-day Saints in Italy. BYU Religious Studies Center, 2017.